Commercial U.S. Fishing Boat
The Eleanor D was built in Erie, PA or Cleveland, OH on Lake Erie in 1948 and purchased by William Cahill Sr. & William Cahill Jr. in 1958. It was operated by William Cahill Jr., the third generation of Cahill fishermen. The Cahill Family ran the boat on Lake Ontario from 1958 -1979.
Built from surplus WWII sheet steel, the boat endured 25 foot "seas" in Lake Ontario and is the last US commercial fishing vessel to work Lake Ontario.
The Eleanor D was donated to the Marine Museum in 2004. It was lifted out of the water using a 90-ton crane courtesy of the Luedtke Engineering Company. In 2005 a restoration plan was identified. That same year, a video interview with Captain William Cahill Jr. was made. The interior was also videoed in its original state.
In 2007 through 2008, a small group of specialized volunteers led by Don Feck, (Retired SUNY Oswego Technology Professor) began to stabilize, repair and restore the exterior roof and pilothouse. In 2009, a new 30-year membrane roof was installed to keep the elements from damaging the vessel's interior. In 2010, plans are underway to prime and paint the exterior.
The Maritime Museum would like to thank: the Cahill Family, Luedtke Engineering, Ontario Metal Fabricators & the Port of Oswego Authority in support of this effort.